Monday, May 16, 2011

We aren't undergraduates

Anna and I went to the beach today while her car was getting work done. It was a beautiful day, sunshine and a high of 80, but Wrightsville Beach is windy. Always. I know days are Very Windy when my plants ten miles inland get knocked down, and today they tumped over multiple times.

But we didn't know it was that windy until we got to the beach. Slowly we added layers until we were sitting with all of our clothes on and towels wrapped around the other exposed parts. I looked around the crowded beach and saw ten zillion shirtless guys and girls in bikinis just lying there without a care in the world. No one looked cold. Not even a little bit. And Anna and I were contemplating going home, since we just weren't prepared mentally or physically for being cold in the beginning of summer.

"Can't anyone acknowledge that it's just the least bit cold out here?" I asked, mostly to myself, secretly wanting an answer.

Of course no one did. There were too many rays to soak, wind and cold or not. We went home anyway, because we live at the beach and can take it for granted every now and then.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Ha ha! I used to leave my apartment near campus and say, "what a nice day. I'll go to the beach!" and then, without fail, it was freezing and windy once I got to the shore. I did this multiple times. What a bust.

Allison said...

Why is Wrightsville Beach so moody when it comes to warm weather? But, that's the perfect reason to live there, so you can always know whats up!