Friday, October 21, 2011

J Crew Sale

This post is going to sound very materialistic and I don't even care.

Sample sales. I believe I had heard of them on various blogs.Wednesday night, I experienced one. It started in the morning when one of my coworkers came in excited. She was wearing a 100% J Crew cashmere cardigan that she had bought for 10 dollars. In Durham, J Crew had rented out an old Borders and filled the place with tables. On top of the tables were three boxes, below the tables two boxes. Each box was crammed with unsorted clothes -- there were children's clothes next to women's sweaters next to men's pants. No organization at all. BUT IT WAS CHEAP. All shirts and pants $10, dresses $10 or $15, sweaters and shoes $20.

It was nuts. Everyone in my office left right after work. Mae's strategy was to pick a corner and put everything in her size in a box. Angelica and my's strategy was to grab anything in a color we liked. (No surprise, everything I bought was a bright color. I think she was a little smarter.) A woman handed us a white trashbag when we walked in, and I stuffed clothes in and occasionally weeded out. There were no dressing rooms and no mirrors, so women were stripping down in public and men kept asking their significant other's opinion. I stuck to dresses and cardigans, because buying pants is a stressful business for me with mirrors and dressing rooms; I can't imagine blinding buying a pair. I wore my dresses around over my clothes while I picked through other boxes, trying to make sure the dress was worth buying.

But the best part of all was when I got home. I looked online to see how much some of the stuff originally cost. One of my 15 dollar dresses is still selling online for 250. When will I wear the four fancy dresses I bought? Maybe never. Or maybe I'll start dressing up for work like it's a glamorous wedding. Like I said, I don't even care.

1 comment:

Tom Frase said...

It is so fun to find really good deals. You should definitely dress up something soon -- anything. Maybe go out for pizza!