Thursday, October 20, 2011

Football

Okay, I think the universe listened to my complain and I am generally off blog duty at work. (Probably because I wasn't so great at it.) And that brings back the desire to blog again.

This past Saturday, two of our Wilmington friends came up to go to a UNC football game. It was great because we had this set up before we even moved, and it's been something I've looked forward to every time I've missed Wilmington. And in many ways it was a perfect day... pumpkin pancakes at Elmo's, 75 degree degree weather, sunny enough for a sunburn. Not to mention that Julie and Aaron are some of our most favorite people!

But let me tell you. UNC football. What a disappointment.

I've never been to a football game that wasn't Arkansas football. Not another college, not NFL. I barely went to high school football games. (And I certainly never paid attention to the game when I did. I'll have to tell you about my ignorance in another blog post.)

A picture Julie took. We were there early because that is something the four of us are good at. Well, Tim is usually on time, but he's the odd one out in this crew.
For example, at Arkansas, we divide the crowd up and one side screams "Arkansas" and the other side screams "Razorbacks." This is a fun activity. At UNC one side yells "Tar" and the other side yells "Heel." Could you think of two more awkward words to yell? Whenever I hear the word Tar by itself, I think of the terrible things people have done with tar, and yelling Heel just sounds hillbilly, and is hard to scream with emphasis. (Actually, at Florida they yell blue/orange, and orange is also really awkward to yell, but UF makes up for it with another zillion awesome traditions.)

Also, one of the things they do to get the crowd pumped up on the third down is to show a picture of the historic bell tower on campus and make a loud bell sound. Talk about intimidating. "You guys, it's serious, that bell is ringing." 

And UNC went down 14 without ever having possession. A fumble on the kickoff. They eventually came back (not for the win), but my heart wasn't into it. I doubted they could pull an Arkansas and win after a 19 point deficit. 

The band did play excerpts from movies at halftime. Who can't get excited about awesome movie scores? 

No comments: