Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Anyone want to lend some social skillz?

A few days ago I had a job interview that required a teaching presentation, a group activity, a multiple choice quiz, and a one-on-one interview. Whew! I felt the teaching presentation went well, and the rest of the day just went.

If you read my blog, you probably know these two things about me: I'm prone to shyness and I'm an extreme internal processor (that is, I think about what I want to say, and then sometimes say it, sometimes not. I've learned this is often the case with internal processors.... once we come to a conclusion, it satisfies us, while everyone around us are left wondering what is going on/this is so awkward).

 It's never kept me from trying a new experience or making friends or anything, but it has kept me quiet in classes, or on the fringe of a party instead of in the middle of it, which I am okay with. So, I thought I was acting myself in the interview, and things were going more or less well, until the final one-on-one interview.

"Let me ask a question that isn't on the standard list of questions," my interviewer said. "I find you a compelling candidate (for a few reasons) but you seem so nervous. Tell me something that will convince me that that won't be a problem."

Could there be a question that could make me even more nervous? Pardon me, Allison, you have seemed really nervous all day, but here is your one shot to get this job if you can talk about why you were nervous without completely losing your nerves.

I don't think I pulled out the best answer. I told them I was shy, but not nearly as shy as I had been. I don't think this job wants shy people. But I always remind myself that Flannery O'Connor was shy and awkward too, and now it's a nice anecdote about her, not a reason for scorn or anything.

No comments: