Monday, September 15, 2008

This past week in my "Storytelling in the Cinema" class, we were discussing humor. It turns out there is a pretty rigid formula: Incongruity + Resolution. This has been tested by setting up 3 jokes:
1) Incongruity + Resolution:
Q: Why did the cookie cry?
A: Because his mother was a wafer too long.

Cute joke, right? Well, here are the other combinations.
2)Incongruity without resolution
Q: Why did the cookie cry?
A: Because his mother was a wafer.

Okay, this isn't suppose to be funny. But for some reason, in the silence of class, I found this the most hysterical thing I had ever heard. Almost as funny to me was the next senario:

3) Resolution without incongruity
Q: Why did the cookie cry?
A: Because it stayed in the oven too long.

Again, not funny. Again, I was holding in my laughter so that the teacher wouldn't think I was looney. Oooh, if only you could push a "be rational" button and fix things.

PS- Another thing I've learned. When you're really, truly going for something, it's best to have your mouth open.

No comments: