Monday, April 18, 2011

The Beckham Experience

My friend Virginia asked me how the Beckham experience was. In a word: rowdy.

Here's the article that describes it best. I won't go into it in my own words because, well, I don't know that much about soccer. I was, however, a little disappointed that Landon Donovan didn't play, because while I don't know soccer, I do know celebrities.


 Becks wore sleeves the whole time, so you couldn't see his tats. Also, doesn't his hair seem longer than normal?


Tim and I were done tromping around DC around 4:30 in the afternoon, and the game was at 7:30. All I wanted at that point was a cupcake. We thought about finding a restaurant or something around Foggy Bottom, but instead we decided to head to the stadium and relax in the restaurants/bars/cafes/etc. that would be around there.

Only we arrived at the stadium and there is nothing around. DC United did have a pretty fun tail-gaiting section, and I think that was the point where we could most vividly see ourselves living in DC and hanging out with hipsters who wear soccer scarves and play corn-hole before games. But I was also cold and tired, and maybe this much cranky about the general lack of cupcakes in the area. Nevertheless, a fun experience.

3 comments:

Virginia said...

2 Bummers:
1. No tattoo sightings
2. No cupcake

Those two things might have swayed you to move to DC.... but it just wasn't meant to be:)

Jill said...

so first, DC is weird. actually, i think it is cool, but we haven't quite figured out where or when its cool and/or how to be a part of the coolness.

and also, although i have always wanted to live in north carolina myself, had you two chosen to live in dc, i would have forced you to be friends with us. we would have had a great time.

Allison said...

Jill, I actually thought about you a lot while I was in DC! And Martha and Laura Culver, because y'all are all there, right? I had these dreams of Fayetteville reunions where everyone lived in DC, but like instead of Chinatown, we had Arkansastown. Wouldn't that be fun? We'd all be friends and watch football together.