Sunday, October 24, 2010

a reason people should go to church

My left eye is trying to sabatoge my semester. At various moments in the semester, it turns red (especially on Tuesdays), and occasionally hurts and gives me a headache. But after a week of glasses wearing I can usually get it under control. Last night it started feeling funny, so I took out my contacts earlier than normal, but alas, this morning I woke up to the climax of eye pain.

But, it just so happens that I go to the most educated church ever, and am in a Sunday morning Bible study with two lawyers, the retired head of the English department at Syracuse university, Tim, someone who is also smart but whose profession I don't know, and, EUREKA! an eye doctor! The eye doctor in the closest proximity to my apartment! I didn't go to church because I was sensitive to light and was feeling nauseous (I think my eye and my stomach have an express route, because this happens more than you might think). But the heroic eye doctor was able to diagnose me through the phone and Tim's summary, and he met me at his close office to write a prescription.

It turns out I've had a virus (not herpes, which is the only virus a google search will lead you to believe exists) in my left eye  all semester, and an increased sensitivity to the preservatives in the off brand contact solution, which stresses out both of my eyes. So basically the point of this story is that my eyes are drama queens, and somehow know that they have all control over my ability to write and teach, and like to dangle that in front of me. And everyone should stop using offbrand solution because it's not the same, and preservatives are going to destroy all of us!

1 comment:

Allison C said...

I agree about off-brand contact solution. It messed up my eyes, too (just made them really dry). So now I just fork over the money because it's worth it to not be squinting at everything. Lesson learned.